DECIDING ON A LOCATION.
While this may sound like one of the many decisions you'll be making for your photo session, let this be the easiest. Do you love the beach and salty air? Are you a fan of wide, open, country, fields? Do you prefer the bustle of a city or town? Choosing a spot that you're used to and enjoy spending your free time will automatically make you feel more comfortable at your session. If you hate the beach and hate being sandy, don't choose the beach as your location!
CHOOSE AN ACTIVITY.
This is completely optional but can be super fun & perfect if you're nervous being in front of the camera. Get creative! Grab some ice cream with your partner at your favorite ice cream parlor. Pack a picnic in a basket and head out to a quiet place in the park. Grab a coffee with your hunny at an urban coffee shop/cafe. Take a trip to the carnival or fair. Visit a garden or nursery. In the colder months, visit a pumpkin patch, apple orchard, or Christmas tree farm - the possibilities are endless!
HAIR + NAILS + MAKEUP.
Although it is recommended to have your hair and makeup professionally done, it is understandable that this is not within everyone's budget. If this is an option for you, go for it! If not, that's okay! Wear your hair as you normally would. (This is probably not the best time to experiment with a new style!) Don't neglect your nails. Is your polish chipped? Put on a fresh new coat or remove the polish completely. The camera will pick up on it! Avoid neon colors if you can, as this can cause a distraction in your final images. If you're not having your makeup professionally done, I always recommend applying it *slightly* heavier than usual. Bring along your makeup bag in case a touch up is needed! This is especially necessary in the summer months when it is hot and sticky.
CHOOSING YOUR OUTFITS.
This is the most important decision you'll make. You will have 2 separate outfits to wear during your session. Your outfit selection can either make or break your photos, so take your time when making your decision. If at any point you are unsure about an outfit, do not hesitate to send me a quick photo and I can provide you with some feedback. Here are some suggestions to keep in mind when making your outfit selection:
- Choose earthy tones, neutral colors, or soft pastels. These colors look best in combination of my style of photography. Consider shades such as blush pink, light grey, leather brown, muted blues, cream/ivory, or white. The softer color palette fits into almost all outdoor environments!
- Avoid bright, bold, or neon colors. This can be distracting and can take the focus away from your face in your photos.
- Accessorize! Hats, scarves, necklaces, earrings, bracelets, etc. Even hair accessories such as floral crowns are perfect.
- Dressing in layers will create dimension, depth, and texture.
- GIRLS - choose a dress as one of your outfits! Flowy dresses and skirts photograph SO elegant, formal, and feminine as opposed to jeans or pants.
- Avoid wearing shirts with logos, text, or graphics.
- Need some visual inspiration? Head on over to my PINTEREST BOARD for some examples.
BE ON TIME.
This is super important! Plan to arrive at your session at least 15 minutes early if you can. This will ensure that we can begin our session on time and that our time together will not be cut short. There might be another session scheduled after yours. Your session might have been scheduled right before sunset. If there is a possibility of you arriving late, let me know as soon as possible.
I am excited for our session together. If you have any questions for me from now until our time together, don't hesitate to ask! I am all ears :)