DECIDING ON A LOCATION.
While this may sound like one of the many decisions you'll be making for your photo session, let this be the easiest. Do you love the beach and salty air? Are you a fan of wide, open, country, fields? Do you prefer the bustle of a city or town? Choosing a spot that you're used to and enjoy spending your free time will automatically make you feel more comfortable at your session. If you hate the beach and hate being sandy, don't choose the beach as your location!
CHOOSE AN ACTIVITY.
This is completely optional but can be super fun & perfect if you're nervous being in front of the camera. Get creative! Grab some ice cream with your partner at your favorite ice cream parlor. Pack a picnic in a basket and head out to a quiet place in the park. Grab a coffee with your hunny at an urban coffee shop/cafe. Take a trip to the carnival or fair. Visit a garden or nursery. In the colder months, visit a pumpkin patch, apple orchard, or Christmas tree farm - the possibilities are endless!
HAIR + NAILS + MAKEUP.
Although it is recommended to have your hair and makeup professionally done, it is understandable that this is not within everyone's budget. If this is an option for you, go for it! If not, that's okay! Wear your hair as you normally would. (This is probably not the best time to experiment with a new style!) Don't neglect your nails. Is your polish chipped? Put on a fresh new coat or remove the polish completely. The camera will pick up on it! If you're not having your makeup professionally done, I always recommend applying it *slightly* heavier than usual and bring along your makeup bag! A touch up might be needed in between outfit changes.
CHOOSING YOUR OUTFITS.
This is the most important decision you'll make. You will have 2 separate outfits to wear during your session. Your outfit selection can either make or break your photos, so take your time when making your decision. If at any point you are unsure about an outfit, send me a quick photo and I can give you my opinion. Here are some suggestions to keep in mind when making your outfit selection:
- Wear colors that coordinate, but don't match! Colors such as burgundy and navy, emerald green and yellow, aqua and pink, plum and turquoise, etc. really compliment one another and photograph beautifully. Pretty much all pastel colors fit together perfectly as well!
- Accessorize! Hats, scarves, necklaces, earrings, bracelets, etc. Even hair accessories such as floral crowns are perfect.
- Dressing in layers will create dimension, depth, and texture.
- GIRLS - choose a dress as one of your outfits! Flowy dresses and skirts photograph SO elegant, formal, and feminine as opposed to jeans or pants.
- Need some visual inspiration? Head on over to my PINTEREST BOARD for some examples.
I am excited for our session together. If you have any questions for me from now until our time together, don't hesitate to ask! I am all ears :)