Rainy Sunday mornings call for a sweet breakfast treat! These French toast sandwiches have a chocolatey surprise inside and are such a big hit for kids.
YOU WILL NEED
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
3 Tbsp granulated sugar, divided
1 1/4 cups milk
3 large eggs
9 tablespoons chocolate hazelnut spread
12 slices of Texas toast or French bread
2 tsp powdered sugar
1. Combine strawberries and 1 tbsp granulated sugar in a small bowl. Let stand while preparing French toast, stirring occasionally to release juice.
2. Combine milk, 2tbsp granulated sugar, and eggs in shallow dish, stirring occasionally with a whisk.
3. Spread 1 1/2 tbsp chocolate hazelnut spread on each of the 6 bread slices; top with remaining 6 slices, pressing gently. Working with 1 sandwich at a time, dip sandwich in milk mixture and then transfer to a large plate. Repeat procedure with 2 more sandwiches.
4. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat dipped sandwiches with cooking spray. Add sandwiches to pan; cook 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from pan; keep warm.
5. While first 3 sandwiches cook, repeat soaking procedure with 3 remaining sandwiches. Add 3 remaining sandwiches to pan; cook 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Dust sandwiches evenly with powdered sugar and top evenly with sugared strawberries.
Recipe from Taste of Home